Thursday, November 29, 2012

Explorando Guatemala



From November 15-18, John Cahill and I were on a birding expedition in Tikal.  I enjoyed the opportunity to see these Mayan ruins with John as a bird watcher, rather than the typical tourist.  While I enjoy historical landscapes, I like to do sightseeing in a non-typical way.  In addition to seeing the ruins, I had a great time getting to know John more and adding some new birds to my list.  Some of my favorite new sightings were the Orange-breasted Falcon, Pheasant Cuckoo, Blue-crowned Motmot and Purple-crowned Fairy (a hummingbird).


 An amazing view from Temple 4.  A picture does not capture the entire scene.

Some of my favorite sites were during the trip.  I love to see agriculture!

A new maize field.  The Peten region can grow 2 crops of maize a year.

An expanse of African oil palm.

A new papaya plantation.


They look good!


Last week, I was privileged to celebrate Thanksgiving Day with the Groffs and other North Americans here in Guatemala.  All the activity helped to alleviate the homesickness I felt for my own family back in Pennsylvania.  The next day, the Dennett family, who had driven up from Guatemala City to spend Thanksgiving with us, allowed me to accompany them on a trip to Semuc Champey.  This bucolic valley, with warm fresh water pools for swimming, is truly one of Guatemala’s hidden wonders.  A 1.5 hour drive on an unpaved road from the main highway, we all concluded that this attraction is not for the “faint at heart.”

A view along the road into Semuc Champey.


We have added two more composting structures at the farm.  The new tools were received last week and we spent a day preparing new handles for them.  Marsalino, Pedro and I put new plastic around the bottom of the greenhouse to keep rain and other intruders out and screened the doors with wire.

Marsalino and Pedro by the finished work.


Last Monday, Tara Cahill brought her crew of students to the farm for a workday.  They have been studying gardening from a biblical viewpoint and came to Bezaleel to do a service project.  I was certainly blessed by their work at the farm.  Forty-one girls accomplished far more in one day than my usual crew of three can do in a week.  They prepared some beds we will be planting this month.

A garden full of workers





I received a delivery of malanga, sweet potato and guisquil this week.  We have been busy planting the sweet potatoes and malanga.  The guisquil will be next.  We have also seeded more cabbage, broccoli, onions, cucumbers and carrots.

Newly planted malanga
A field of camote (sweet potato)
Cabbage, chile, broccoli and onion seedlings



1 comment:

  1. Peace, Dear brother,
    I enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pictures. You are working very hard and making progress with the soil and the plants. Selling the steal was a great way to get rid of it. The bucket organizer is awesome. You are doing a wonderful job. I'm so impressed. I am praying for you that you find some workers among the students Maybe "farming" becomes an after school option? Praying for God to show you clearly each step of the way and wrap you with his comforting word.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete